Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Learning to ride

A few short hours of July 27 and July 28th 2009 for Dancer was huge. This picture is right before your first attempt at riding your bike. You were all worried that you were going to hurt yourself, even though the picture doesn't show it.



Learning to ride a bike was something that I remember was very challenging, and a bit awkward. Your Great Grandpa W. was visiting us on Nellis AFB out in Las Vegas when it happened to me- that monumental occasion in a child's life when you gain a little more freedom by riding your bike. At first, I took short trips of pedaling then I would fall. Great Grandpa would take his time, keep his patience and help me restart. After awhile, I eventually went all the way around the block all by myself, beaming with pride as I sped faster and faster in the direction of Grandpa W. and my mom. I could see on their faces the happiness they felt for me and it was comforting, but out of nowhere it seems a car appeared. Oh no, what do I do? I remember thinking. This was not a moving car, but a car that was parked and before I could make any quick adjustments, I ran directly into it, racking myself in the process. Ouch! The next thing I knew Mom and Great Grandpa were running in my direction and all I remember after that was soaking in the tub.

I fell off my bike a lot because I couldn't keep my balance all that well; however, Dancer you learned how to ride a bike in a matter of hours.



Mom and I took turns following you around. You first took approximately 2 turns of the pedal then the bike would fall over, but you were on grass and never really scraped your body up. After pedaling on grass and going around Grandma Gail's house a few times, you ended up pedaling about 20 yards all by yourself. This hour long practice session was very exceptional, then we called it quits for the evening.

The next morning, we were over at Grandma and Papa's house and within 10 minutes you were going 50-100 yards on the road without stopping. What a few great hours and you had a blast!



Here are a few pictures of your first evening of bike riding without training wheels.



Congratulations Dancer!! This will probably be something you will remember the rest of your life as well...a bit more freedom and it all happened in the great outdoors!

1 comment: