Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Faith, love and.....

No I haven't forgotten about this blog, it's just that I haven't had much to say about my hunting ordeals. It has been without a doubt the slowest deer hunting season on record. Not just for my sake, but for all seasoned hunters as well; they have not witnessed the deer move like they have had in previous years. We (my hunting friends) have tried to figure it out. Is it because of the weather? Rainy? Unseasonably warm? Deer movement in the night rather than at daybreak, or dusk? Standing corn?

A lot of hunters thought it was the last question...Corn. A bunch of corn was standing late into the 2009 year because of the rain and the cost of drying the corn in bins, the farmers let it stand, creating great cover for the deer. The deer really never had to move far from the corn. They had everything they needed right in the cover of the corn....food from the corn, water from the puddles in the rows of corn, and acres upon acres of standing cover.

But after the rain had dwindled, the corn had been harvested, still no signs of deer movement. Why!! (Notice I exclaimed that not questioned the Why!) The deer are perplexing creatures...they outsmarted a great many hunters this year.

Deer season is not over...I have a few more weeks left. After most have put away their guns, waiting for another season, I will be sitting anxiously with my bow in arms, hoping that the MONSTER buck will walk under my stand! I have faith that I will see a big buck; I love the outdoors even if it's below freezing, and HOPE that one day I will be lucky enough to say I outwitted, outlasted, and outplayed a mature whitetail!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you are back! Keep looking for
    that big buck...he's out there somewhere!!

    ReplyDelete