Saturday, January 24, 2009

All 5 Senses are used

You've heard of how old football, basketball, or baseball players, when they reminisce about the days they played one of those sports, they tell you how it smelled, or how it sounded. They don't usually tell you a certain game, but they will tell you about the sound of the bat hitting the ball, or getting all fired up before the football game. This is a big part in hunting, particularly big game animals such as deer because you use all five senses everytime.






Smells: You remember smells so intensely. The smell of farmers harvesting their crops, and soil be worked over while you're in the treestand. Sights: The remembering of certain images comes back if you sit in a treestand, or sit by a tree you once had an encounter with an animal. (Like the time I missed 2 shots at a buck using my bow sitting at this one tree. Unfortunately, everytime I walk by this certain tree, bad thoughts creep into my mind.) Hearing: The rustle of tree leaves blowing in the wind fondly bring back memories; the sound of two squirrels barking and chasing each other around a mighty oak tree. Taste: The taste of freshly cooked breakfast after the hunt...pancakes, bacon, orange juice, and maybe some coffee. Oh yeah, throw in some eggs too to top it all off.


Touch: The feel of the usually cold morning walking to my stand, and climbing up the rungs of my ladderstand. The shivering of my body after I've decided to get off my stand, and calling it quits for the day after sitting motionless for hours at a time, rushes memories of bitterly cold chills up and down my spine. (is this even a sentence..I need an English major here) These 5 senses help us remember things...Do you remember when?? It all comes back to our senses.

2 comments:

  1. I don't do early mornings, but I think I could make it for the breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to go over to my Moms...:)

    ReplyDelete